First- read/watch the following: How Boeing Lost Its WayRelaxed F.A.A. Oversight At Root of Boeings Crisis Download Relaxed F.A.A. Oversight At Root of Boeings CrisisCongressional Report Faults Boei
First, read/watch the following:
How Boeing Lost Its Way
- Relaxed F.A.A. Oversight At Root of Boeing’s Crisis Download Relaxed F.A.A. Oversight At Root of Boeing’s Crisis
- Congressional Report Faults Boeing on MAX Design, FAA for Lax Oversight Download Congressional Report Faults Boeing on MAX Design, FAA for Lax Oversight
Next, based on what you read and watched, answer the following questions:
- How did Boeing’s organizational culture change after it acquired McDonnell Douglas? Focus on 1–3 dimensions that are most prominent.
- Symbols, one type of cultural artifact, reinforce organizational culture by conveying to employees who is important and the kinds of behavior that are expected and appropriate. By moving the company’s headquarters from Seattle to Chicago in 2001, what message did Boeing leaders convey?
- Was Boeing’s decision to conceal the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) an ethical failure, cultural failure, or both? Explain.
- One of the most common ethical dilemmas is conflict of interest. According to The Wall Street Journal article, the Congressional report reiterates earlier complaints by lawmakers that Boeing was able to exert undue influence over the FAA, partly because regulators delegated much of their oversight responsibilities to Boeing employees authorized to act on the government’s behalf. How is this situation a classic conflict of interest and what steps should have been taken to avoid it in the first place?
- Boeing and the FAA agreed the MCAS’s software needed a major redesign, though the Congressional report indicates FAA officials allowed the plane to keep flying despite multiple prior certification blunders pertaining to the MAX. Making solid ethical decisions often requires moral courage. What are some likely reasons that the FAA did not show the moral courage to stand up to Boeing in the face of these safety concerns?
Click on the “Submit Assignment” button to submit your response as a file upload. To successfully complete this assignment,
- Number your answer to each question.
- Incorporate course concepts and include appropriate reasons, evidence, and/or examples as support for your position.
- Demonstrate exceptional control of grammar, paragraph structure, punctuation, sentence construction, and spelling.