MSW-Week 3 – Assignment: Assess your Development as a Social Justice Ally
Assignment: Assess your Development as a Social Justice Ally
As a social worker, you are both an ally for your clients and an individual in need of allies in your work. For this assignment, prepare a written assessment that addresses the following elements:
• Describe your self-identity as related to the factors of diversity as defined in social work education. “Factors of diversity are understood as the intersectionality of multiple factors including but not limited to age, class, color, culture, disability and ability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, immigration status, marital status, political ideology, race, religion/ spirituality, sex, sexual orientation, and tribal sovereign status” (CSWE, 2015).
• Based on your understanding of privilege from the week’s readings, explain two examples in which your self-identity has provided you with privileges.
• Based on your understanding of oppression, explain two examples in which your self-identity has led to your oppression.
• Consider which ally attributes- described in the week’s reading- you have or are currently working to achieve. Identify and explain an example from social work practice to illustrate a challenge to acting as an ally in practice.
• Address barriers in your life and practice acting as an ally (e.g. fear, internalized racism or bigotry, lack of skill, courage, or institutional support). Recommend advocacy approaches to ensure human rights to overcome these barriers.
Support your assignment with at least three scholarly resources.
Length: 2-3 pages, not including title and reference pages
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA 7 standards. Be sure to cite all work. Include a conclusion and reference page,